7.29.2009

I love blind dates!!

Being "set up" is all part of the "FUN" of dating. Some people are real big fans of blind dates, others hate them. Some people fall in love with the first blind date they ever go on and live happily ever after. Others go on millions and never find their Romeo. My roommate Allie, for example, is a blind date queen, and has been set up with just about every loser in the whole Mesa area! Poor girl, she's a trooper! While I haven't been set up quite as many times as she has, I feel like I've been out on my fair share of blind dates in my... few years as a Young Single Adult. This week's blind date was one of a kind though, at least for me.
This post is mostly for Uncle Doug, as I'm sure he'll be so proud of himself when he reads it. ;)
The story: Uncle Doug kindly gave my number to this nice man a couple of months ago, and we played phone tag for several weeks until we actually had a real conversation. We've talked a few times since, and he's really nice, but let's be honest... the guy lives in MN and I live in AZ, and he plays basketball in the flipping NBA for a living! He does not really want to be my friend! So you can imagine my surprise when he calls me up on Monday (this week) and says, "I think we need to plan sometime to meet face to face." Ok, whatever you want dude, I'd love to meet you! (thinking the whole time in my head that it would actually happen... never) But, I was beyond surprised when he texts me at work on Tuesday and told me he just booked a flight to PHX and was landing at 6pm... that night, was I free for dinner after work? WHAT?!?! I'll be honest, I freaked out just a little! But, I said to myself, "self, take a deep breath. What a fun adventure this will be!" And so, I met him at his hotel after I got off work and we went to dinner at a fun Greek restaurant and he had already decided that today we would go to one of the museums downtown and hangout before he flew back to MN this afternoon. I must give the guy credit there... he flew into an unfamiliar city, to meet a girl he knew nothing about, and he planned everything himself, and didn't rely on my to entertain him, and that was nice! Anyway, we had a great time! But, as I sit here and type this, I'm still cracking up thinking that I really just went out with him... this blind date definitely gets a journal entry! Thanks Uncle Doug. :)





2 comments:

Uncle Doug said...

I think Aunt Susan may have rubbed off on me! She's the matchmaker not me! :) Details...girl...details!!

MaryAnn said...

Wow, he looks nice! How tall?